Marking one year since becoming leader Elizabeth Lee has highlighted a number of key achievements by the Canberra Liberals over the last 12 months.
Ms Lee said while continuing to hold the Labor-Greens Government to account, the Canberra Liberals have also secured a number of significant outcomes for the community.
Just some of the Canberra Liberals’ achievements include:
- Delivering a comprehensive education strategy that will bring out the best in every child;
- Passing Australian-first stealthing legislation;
- Introducing laws to strengthen bail laws to keep frontline police safe;
- Fighting for PPE for frontline health staff including fit-tested masks;
- Providing food relief for multicultural communities in quarantine;
- Drafting for tabling laws preventing off the plan contracts being unfairly cancelled by developers;
- Releasing an exposure draft for legislation to strengthen domestic violence laws;
- Securing $80 million in funding for maintenance of public housing through continued advocacy and lobbying on behalf of housing tenants;
- Legislating for dementia friendly design in the age friendly city plan;
- Securing support for upgrades to Lake Tuggeranong foreshore;
- Saving Cooleman Park from development into a carpark;
- Keeping the West Belconnen green waste facility open;
- Prosecuting the woefully inadequate roll out of the ChooseCBR voucher scheme;
- Advocating for and delivering on sensible changes to restrictions on border and non-essential retail during lockdown; and
- Working with the ACT Government to support the COVID-19 pandemic health response.
“It is a great honour to serve as leader of the Canberra Liberals and looking at some of our achievements over the last year there is a lot to be proud of,” Ms Lee said.
“Since the election my team and I have had direct contact with tens of thousands of Canberrans through door knocking, mobile offices and phone canvasing, and the overwhelming message from Canberrans is that this Labor-Greens Government is out of touch.
“When you have a look at the decisions that are being made by this government, a lot of these decisions do not acknowledge, empathise or understand the issues Canberrans are actually concerned about.
“We have listened, and we have brought these issues to the Legislative Assembly, raising concerns about the rising cost of living, poverty, the plight of our businesses during the pandemic, and real concerns about some of our most vulnerable Canberrans including those in our prison system.
“It is clear Labor and the Greens do not have the appetite or the will to address these major failings.”
Ms Lee said over the last year there have been community-centric motions that the Canberra Liberals have supported, demonstrating that her team is willing to work with the government if it is in the best interest of Canberrans.
“There are a number of issues that we have been able to work with government on including Territory Rights, sexual assault reform and most recently the pregnancy and infant loss motion,” Ms Lee said.
“We also engaged constructively with the government when the lockdown was announced, supporting the health measures implemented to keep all Canberrans safe.
“We have demonstrated time and time again that while the Canberra Liberals will continue to hold the government to account, we will always look at initiatives, proposals and policies on their merits and support anything that is in the best interests of the community. It will always be about putting Canberra first,” Ms Lee concluded.
During her recent budget reply speech, Ms Lee set out clear priorities over the next 12 months to help boost economic recovery which will be very important coming out of lockdown and the COVIID-19 pandemic. The budget reply speech can be read in full here: https://www.elizabethlee.com.au/budget-2021